Wednesday, December 28, 2005

 

What on earth is a commonwealth?

I started work yesterday, not much to report. It's about what I expected but I do get a super cool badge, with a picture that's better than my driver's liscence.

The Department of Energy is directly across the street from the Smithsonian Castle, contributing to perhaps the greatest architectural contrast anywhere in the city. After I got off work I had some time to kill so I decided to walk around The Mall, heading in the direction of the Washington Monumount. People in front of me would periodically stop, turn around a take a picture of something behind me, and being tired and jeg lagged, I didn't put two and two together. Curious, I turned around and was just about knocked flat. The Capitol Building is stunning, there's no other word for it.

After I walked around the Eclipse a young man jogged by me, stopped dead in his tracks and started to chuckle to himself before waiving and continuing on. "What are you doing here Mike?" It was Daniel Frankenstein, a former ASUC Senator from the ASUC Second Age. That was kinda random.

I'm glad to be here, everyone is extremely nice and helpful, and the city still has much of its Christmas decorations up ( though I have to admit I'm a little disappointed by the National Christmas Tree or whatever its called). I'm told it's surprizingly warm for this time of year, high in the 50's, which all things considered isn't bad. Everyone has told me to just wait for "sleet" and "snow", whatever those are.

Comments:
On the metro they insist on refering to Virginia as a commonwealth, and I'm living in VIrginia now. I know its pretty much the same as a state, just a legacy from British law, but its still never been rigorously explained to me.
 
gasp. you are in no longer in california! well, good for you. i hope you're having fun. i imagine there are vast amounts of things to do there compared to atwater. and i liked your fog story. i imagined a bunch of children playing hide-and-go-seek and never leaving a 4 foot radius from whoever was it. okay. goooodbye for now.

diana
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?