Wednesday, May 31, 2006

 

Drivin' down the road I get a feeling I should have been home yesterday


I know you all don’t believe me when I tell you I’m a hick. I know I know, you all think I’m terribly cultured, sophisticated, erudite even, and nothing of the stock of my fiction and parody could possibly exist.

I went back to the valley a couple weeks ago for my sister’s graduation and knowing dozens of you would be awaiting my news of the trip I decided to update this blog with all appropriate haste. I might get to that, but for now, here are pictures from around town. Click on (some of) them to see a larger picture.

My parents live in a gated community on the Tuolumne River. Right across from the gate is a charming luncheonette:


Turning left and driving down the road a quarter mile you come across a sort of pawn shop known for selling excess toilet paper and half-used sand paper:



No one honestly believed me when I said the next town over is called Hickman. Suck it:













My dad’s new superintendent is from Walnut Creek. He commutes and one day burst into the office exclaiming “I saw COWS on my way into work! HOW COOL IS THAT!?!” When you drive from Waterford to Modesto that’s all you see:




Ok, cows are all you see except for large farm equipment on the road:













Once you get into town, you…uh…well…there are no words, but like Jeff Foxworthy says, “You can’t give rednecks money.”


Coming back from Modesto I saw someone doing what is considered getting ahead out there:

(Judge Mike Cummins for District Attorny)

The view from my room (the cows were in another field, but get rotated every couple days):

This is perhaps the crowning glory, a picture worth a good five hundred words:

And what makes it all worth it:

This, my Virginiafied Tex-mex lovin’ friends, is real Mexican food. For six bucks no less.

I didn't get pictures of the 24-hour bait and tackle shop at the 76 station (for those times you just need gasoline and worms at two in the morning) or the road signs with buckshot through them, but that'll happen next time.


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?