Monday, May 01, 2006

 

I guess it wasn't for nothing

Faithful readers will remember my run in with the CBEST back when I was applying to be a substitute teacher. But California being less than intelligent made that difficult. Doing what I do best, I fired off a pissed off to some state senator:

>I graduated from UC Berkeley in May and have decided to become a substitute teacher while I search for more permanent employment. However, I am frustrated by the requirements imposed by the administration of the CBEST and propose an additional method prospective substitute teachers may use to satisfy their credentialing obligations.
>
>It is my understanding that the following is true of the CBEST: The CBEST tests basic understanding of reading, writing and mathematics and is graded on a 20-80 point scale distribution with one point increments. To pass you must achieve a least 123 on the three sections combined, though no section may be less than 37. In other words, you must get roughly 35% of the answers correct on a multiple choice test where random guessing will get you 20% correct.
>
>Here is my problem: The CBEST is only administered once every 2 months, must be registered for at least one month before taking it and requires another month to process results. If I want to be a substitute teacher in California as soon as possible, I have to register for this test in early November, take it in early December, and wait to get results in early January. This is an inexcusably ridiculous waste of time.
>
>Here's my solution: Allow those who achieve a predetermined satisfactory score on the Graduate Records Exam to substitute that score for the CBEST requirement. The GRE is a test that examines virtually identical material as the CBEST (verbal, mathematic, analytical writing) but is much more difficult and in depth. The GRE also uses essentially the same statistical distribution grading method as the CBEST, with a range of 200-800 and 10 point increments. The only significant difference is the analytical writing section which is graded on a rubric scale of 6 points with .5 increments, though I submit a passing score may be defined in this system as readily as the other. The GRE may be taken within days of registration and, because it's a computer administered test, results are instantaneous. Granted, it is approximately $70 more expensive than the CBEST, though this is much less expensive than two months of unemployment.
>
>I believe allowing this option in addition to the standard CBEST will produce more substitute teachers without compromising standards since this option lowers the barrier to entry for applicants who are able and willing to pass a more readily available and more difficult test. I strongly encourage appropriate actions be taken to enact this or similar proposals.
>
>Sincerely,
>
>Michael Davis

I was kinda hoping they'd see how brilliant I was and offer me a job, but nothing happened. Then today I get this e-mail:

Hello Michael,
I just wanted you to know that your proposal has been incorporated in omnibus legislation carried by Senator Scott. The bill has numerous provisions designed to reduce barriers. Your suggestion is being very well-received. The bill number is SB 1209. Thanks for writing to express your concerns--and your suggestions.

***** ****, Consultant
Center for the Future of Teaching and Learning

I looked it up here, its amending Section 44252 (d) to read as follows:

(d) By July 31, 2007, the Superintendent shall establish passing scores for each of the tests specified in this subdivision, the attainment of any of which may be substituted for a passing score on the state basic skills proficiency test adopted pursuant tosubdivision (c). The Superintendent shall set basic skills passing scores for each of the following tests:
(1) The Graduate Record Examinations (GRE) General Test.
(2) The Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT) Reasoning Test.
(3) The ACT Plus Writing.


I wonder if I can put this on my resume...

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?